Larry Enright

Larry Enright

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Verbalizing

I have been around for quite a few years but have only recently coined a phrase for the phenomenon I call “verbalizing” — the transmogrification of a noun to a verb. For example, “I office in my home,” is not, in point of fact, a sentence missing its verb. It has taken the noun “office” and made it the verb, and means “My office is in my home.”  Silly? Consider this one: “I will inbox you” which, despite the temptation to think I want to go a few rounds with you in the ring, means “I will send you an email.” Simple? 

Here is an illustration for those of you who are visual thinkers:





This is not a new phenomenon. Language is constantly evolving, or as I like to say now that I have gotten into verbalizing, “It languages.” Of course, some change is good and some not so good. Or, to “modern” it, “Some goods and some bads.” No, that is not a sentence without a verb. You apparently missed the whole point that “good” and “bad” are the verbs. Pay attention, or shall I say, “Attention me?” 

I leave you with this bit of disturbing information I uncovered while Yahooing the subject - There is in fact a counter-movement whose mission is to take back the nouns from the ones they call the evil verbists. They call themselves nounists, and their motto is, "Noun the verbs now or verb forevermore."




No comments: