Larry Enright

Larry Enright

Friday, November 11, 2011

V Trooper - a new novella by Thomas Drinkard




Thomas Drinkard was born and reared in the Deep South—Alabama. He graduated from the University of North Alabama with a degree in English.  At graduation, he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army and went on active duty eight days later. Within two years, he volunteered and was accepted into the Special Forces (Green Berets) after Airborne and Special Forces school, he’d found a home. With a few other assignments in between, he spent ten years with the fabled unit. He was unhappy with the Army’s plans for his future and left active duty and moved into the reserves.  He is now a Major, retired reserves.

After the Army, he found his way into teaching and writing in the securities licensing preparation business.  His textbooks, articles and CE courses are in use today. His poetry can be found in a number of literary magazines, including Negative Capability, Cotton Boll/Atlanta Review, Elk River Review, Sisyphus and others. One of his Vietnam poems was chosen for inclusion in Whatever Remembers Us: An Anthology of Alabama poetry.

Piety and Murder was his first novel, and the prequel; Where There Were No Innocents followed.  The novella, V Trooper, is a departure for him in both form and genre. It is Tom’s first venture into the paranormal and the shorter format. The book is first in a series.





The first novella in a series, V Trooper, is published on Amazon as a Kindle book.  The series approaches the subject of the ancient vampire legend, from an unusual perspective.  Let’s let one of the principals in the book, Major Vic Russell, tell us the story through an interview.

Interviewer:  Hello Major Russell, we’ve heard you have a story to tell that you’d never expected.  Give us a bit of your background first.
Russell: When I was in Special Forces, I volunteered for the Delta Force and was fortunate to be accepted. I worked with Delta for three years until I was wounded in Iraq.  I lost my right leg below the knee.  During rehab, I was fitted with a prosthesis and, when I was physically and mentally ready, the Army assigned me to a logistics unit in Afghanistan. That’s where I met Wil Boyd.
I: What did you think of Boyd when you first met him?
R: I thought he was nuts.  He told me that he might be a vampire.
I: But you didn’t report it. Why?
R: I’m not, at heart, a logistician. I have a warrior instinct. I sensed the same leaning in Boyd. He told me that, as a vampire, he had superhuman abilities. If he was truly what he said, I could find a way to use him as a weapon against the Taliban.
I: Tell us more. How did you test his abilities?
R: I assigned him the task of catching thieves at one of our warehouses.
I: What happened?
R. He caught them. It was amazing!  His success began a progression of events that led to his first mission.
I: Can you tell us about that mission?
R. Sure. What a story it proved to be. It was a mission with interest all the way to the White House. A critical operation with international repercussions.   It’s in V Trooper, available on Amazon now.

Purchase or sample V Trooper - First Mission here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00657YK94





No comments: