Larry Enright

Larry Enright

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sample Sunday 02/06/2011 The Long Walk

This is not my usual sample. This is a song I wrote almost two years ago during a period in which my energies were more focused on music and poetry than novels. Here is the poem (the lyrics) and I've included a link to a youtube video of a musical performance of the piece.
Youtube Link - click this!


The Long Walk © Larry Enright June 2009

 
When the sun sets red under cloudy skies
And hope lies thin in a dark disguise
I look to the west and wait open-armed
For the light to lift me above the storm
But a blood red sun and a harvest moon
Mean a long, cold winter is coming soon
So I wrap a blanket around my heart
And wait by the fire til the snowing starts

Chorus
It’s a long walk down these dusty roads heading west
It’s a long time I’ve been more to life than a guest
It’s a long walk, but I’ll walk ‘til the daylight is through
It’s been a long while but I’m heading home to you.


‘Cross rivers and streams through forests deep
I called your name, I could not sleep
Over mountains high and valleys low
I follow the sun, I’ve one way to go
But my face is burnt and my back is bent
The treasure of life I’ve wastefully spent
So I keep on moving despite the pain
Telling myself I’ll be home again

(Chorus)

 Night comes darkly and cold as ice
And memories fade to black and white
I’d light a candle to curse them all
For the time I spent before their wall
But they’ll stop me not, I’ll get there soon
By the blood red sun and the harvest moon
I’ll call your name, you’ll answer me
When I stand on the shores of the sea

(Chorus)

No comments: